Sunday, 12 April 2009

14 Days to Go

2 weeks today and it will all be over, I cant wait. I will be sat in my hotel room eating all the easter eggs I havent even been allowed to look at. The pain of having all that chocolate in the house and not even allowed a drop.

Did a 'slow' 18 miles this morning, was over at the folks for a nice Sunday dinner so decided to go the opposite way round to the couple of runs I have done there recently. After 14 weeks of training I think I am allowed to blow my own trumpet just the once. For all those who know the Wigan area you will probably be aware of Bank Brow near Roby Mill, a pretty steep hill at the best of times, well a hell of a steep hill after 16 miles. I did get mistaken for someone else, I think it was the red underpants on the outside and the big S on my shirt that threw a few folk. Unlike the mild mannered reporter I didnt leap it in a single bound but merely ran all the way up it without stopping once and preceded then to run the final 2 miles under 9 min mile pace. Super fit as opposed to Superman, then again!!!!!!!!!!!

I also completed my 500th mile of my training today, I have nearly done as many miles this year so far as I did in the whole of last year. 500 ??????????????? I honestly didnt believe I would run that many, not quite sure what I thought I would do but not that many.

Today was my last long run, next weeks sunday run is a 'steady' 12 miles, which is about my half marathon ish sort of pace.

A bit nervous about the run, info has come through the post and one statistic was that St Johns Ambulance treated 5000 runners last year. I think as long as I am steady and keep to the pace I know I can run at, I will be fine. I keep telling myself I have got runs of over 20 miles under my belt on a lot more challenging routes than London will be. Probably just dont need the atmosphere to get me too pumped up too early so that I dont go off like a bullet.

Today was a tough run, with the sun starting to shine pretty hard with about 3 miles to go, completed it well under my scheduled time by about 4 mins though and I think the fact that I have lost 5lbs in weight (including a mums sunday dinner) from last night to tonight also proves it was a tough one. A lot of hills along the route. A great song which means a hell of a lot to me, Wires by Athlete, if you hear it you will understand why, especially those that know us and what we went through with Evan, came on right at the end and if ever there was something that picks you up and drags you that last bit it is that song and no matter how crap I felt I get a hell of an energy boost from hearing it. I guess sometimes fate of the random ipod shuffle works spot on.

A word of advice for the guys of Wigan, get you bare chests out as much as you can, due to miscalculating my run by about 1/2 mile and having to walk it, after 18 miles I had done enough and was happy to walk, I had sweated that much I had to get my vest off to prevent getting cold, so I walked the 1/2 mile bare chested and the amount of looks I got was unbelievable. I am of the opinion that these folk, majority women of course, just couldnt believe the amazing physique they were seeing before them. It had nothing to do with the hairy, sweaty, stinky guy weaving his weary legs home at 11.00am on Easter Sunday morn looking a bloody mess.

Supposed to do 4 miles tomorrow, do you know what I cant be arsed. Will be getting up early with my boys and will be spending all day with them without a pair of running shorts anywhere in sight.

1st Song on Ipod - No idea and will never know

No of Runners Seen - 6 - including 1 woman who unfortunately forgot to spray some anti perspirant under her chest and came bounding down the road towards me with two rather fetching sweat patches 'up front' - nice.

Feet check - Could do with a massage, dont think the wife loves me that much. No blisters but I dont think a career in foot modeling is imminent.

wii fit BMI - 25.35 - still technically classed as overweight, the 'ill' comment from my sister obviously means she disagrees with the wii fit. 3lbs to loose to become 'normal' or whatever they term it.

www.justgiving.com/davidmcnamara - a bit more sponsorship over the last few days, some from some really unexpected sources so thank you very much it has given my total a nice little boost. Just waiting on some of the more expected sources to get their names down. My sisters havent even coughed the cash up yet. I have no doubt they will be doing very shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment